Sausage Cheese Bread
(Makes 2 loafs)
- 1 pound sausage (any flavor or variety - if you want it to be spicy, you can get Hot Sausage)
- 3/4 cup chopped red pepper (you can substitute a jar of red peppers - drained)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 2 packages active dry yeast (make sure it hasn't expired!)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 eggs at room temperature
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Brown sausage (remove casings, if needed) and cook peppers until done, stirring to break up meat; drain, cool. If you use a jar of red peppers instead, just add to the sausage after it has been cooked and drained.
Measure warm water into a large warm bowl. Stir in year until dissolved. Add sugar, salt, seasoning, butter, 1 egg, and 2 cups flour to make soft dough. Knead 8-10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turn to top, cover; let rise until double; about 1 hour.
Punch dough down; divide into 6 pieces. Roll each into 14x4 inch strips. Stir cheese into sausage mixture and spoon down the center of each strip. Pinch log edge together to form 14 inch ropes. Braid 3 ropes together; seal. Repeat with remaining 3 ropes.
I'm linking up!